Weekend Review – Breakfast adventures and more

So per my normal Saturdays, I picked up my friend Adam, and we headed out to Doyle’s Bar for a 7am live soccer game. Key word is live.

Doyle’s has decided they don’t want to open earlier than 9, which totally blows the live game watching out of the water. So what to do when in Tacoma at 7am with hours before your next planned event?

Improvise. It became a mission to find something cool to do at 7am in the Seattle area. This is what transpired.

First stop, The Hangar Cafe.

It’s someone’s house. They decided they wanted to feed people in their house, so it’s now a restaurant.

And it’s actually very good. Super small place but the service is nice and the food is great. I had the banana walnut Belgium waffle, Adam had the bread pudding/french toast. Both very good. Also tried the apple/blackberry juice, crazy weird texture but very nice flavor. Everyone should go there. But not at the same time, you wouldn’t all fit.

Next stop, Pike Place Market, the Seattle landmark. I have known this market for many years of my life, my mom and my dad both worked here when they were younger so in some way it’s a part of the family history and we used to visit on a pretty regular basis with the people that my dad kept in touch with. It has been some time since I last visited, so today was as good a day as any. Except for the thunder squall that attacked the shores of Seattle at the same time. It made for a soggy day, if I’m being polite. We did the normal stuff, watch fish getting thrown, visiting the local stands and such. I got a call from my dad telling me he would be on the radio that morning which was weird, but good for you dad.

Italian Broccoli, who knew that such a geometric shape existed in nature?

That was the end of the first breakfast adventure. I plan on doing it again. Find another hole in the wall place to eat good food. Then do something cool, all before noon or something.

Saturday afternoon we went to dine at Earl’s again, as some of our friends hadn’t tried it yet. The service was pretty terrible this time. I’m not sure I’ll go back anytime soon, and if the service is bad again in a few months, maybe not at all. The evening brought a few weird hours with my grandmother being admitted to a local hospital, she seems to be doing fine for now. With that good bit of news, we headed out to The Parlor, a bar/night club/pool hall in Bellevue for our friends birthday.

Sunday brought the Sounders game in the second leg of the Western Conference Playoffs. I went to last Thursday’s game in Seattle but nothing too exciting to speak of except the atmosphere as it was a 0-0 game. That brought us to this game in Houston with the season on the line. Unfortunately an overtime goal by Brian Ching brought the season to a screeching halt, but cheers to you Sounders for a great inaugural season. We went down to Seatac Airport that night to greet them as they came back from the game. It was a spur of the moment thing and I wasn’t really prepared with my jersey or anything. We had just finished an indoor soccer game at 9.30 and remembered that the team landed at 10. Things went as they did and we hung out until they arrived. Heard a few little speeches, shook hands and took pictures, and that was the end of the weekend. A very good one at that.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s